If you plan to rent a car in Baltimore to explore all that Charm City has to offer, you have a variety of options. The city is home to many car rental locations to offer you the best selection possible. Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport is just around the corner, which means rental companies come by the dozen. The best way to rent is to reserve a vehicle in advance. Nearly all companies allow you to save time by reserving a vehicle ahead of time. Most Baltimore rental agencies offer reservation services. Simply navigate to the company’s website, set your preferred pick-up and drop-off locations and fill out the rest of your preferences. Before renting a car, be sure to consider all of your options. Continue reading to learn more about renting a vehicle in Baltimore, including availability, age restrictions and policies.
Car Rental Companies in Baltimore
Voted the best car rental company by J.D. Power in 2018, Enterprise offers an array of rental options and unbeatable customer service. Enterprise Car Rental, better known as “Enterprise Rent-A-Car,” was established in 1957 and is one of the largest private companies in the U.S. It has more than 9,000 home city locations and 419 airport spots.
Enterprise offers BWI car rental options as well as 13 other locations in and around the city. The company has many rental options, including:
- One-way rentals: Rent a vehicle for a one-way trip almost anywhere in the U.S. Pick it up in Baltimore and hit the road. Or, if Baltimore is your end-stop, there are 14 different locations to drop the vehicle off.
- Long term rentals: under the “Month or More” program, Enterprise allows you to rent monthly or with daily or weekly rates. You can cancel the rental at any time.
- Business rentals: small businesses can take advantage of special rates, corporate discounts, damage coverage and other deals.
Hertz is another great option with a handful of locations in and around the city, including one that services the airport. The company was founded in 1918 with just 12 Ford Model-Ts. Now, the company has more than 9,700 locations around the globe. As of 2018, nearly 78 percent of Hertz’s fleet includes vehicles that get at least 28 mpg.
Other rental options include companies like Budget car rental Baltimore, Avis, Alamo, Thrifty, Dollar and National. Nearly all companies located in Charm City have locations that serve BWI airport. If you need to rent a vehicle upon landing, you may speak with a representative inside the airport to schedule a reservation. Alternatively, you may reserve a vehicle online through any of their websites.
Car Rental Types
When you rent a car in Baltimore, you get to choose the type and class of vehicle that best fits your needs. There are many classes of vehicles from which you can choose. For example, these include:
- Economy: fits up to four people and two suitcases.
- Compact: fits up to five people and two suitcases.
- Intermediate: fits up to five people and three suitcases.
- Full size: fits up to five people and four suitcases.
- Luxury, premium, elite, sporty: cars include Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac and Maserati.
- Compact: fits up to five people and four suitcases.
- Standard: fits up to five people and five suitcases.
- Full size: fits up to seven people and three suitcases.
- Jeep: two-door and four-door Wranglers.
- Luxury, premium, elite, sporty: SUVs include Chevrolet Suburban, Lincoln Navigator and BMW.
Trucks and Vans
- Pickup: fits up to five people and four bags, plus a truck bed.
- 8-Passenger minivan: fits up to eight people and five bags.
- 12-Passenger van: fits up to 12 people and seven bags.
Car Rental Deals and Discounts
Some car rental deals in Baltimore are offered to certain groups of people. For example, Hertz offers a AAA car rental discount to those who are enrolled in the program. AAA members get the young renter fee waived, free use of an infant car seat or booster seat and a discount on the price of Sirius XM radio. Thrifty also gives discounts to AAA members, including 8 percent off the base rate of a rental.
Some companies offer discounted rates for specific time periods. Enterprise offers discounted weekend rates that are available for rentals that begin on Friday and end on Monday. Enterprise also encourages frequent renters to enroll in their rewards program to begin earning points toward free rentals.
Car Rental Rates in Baltimore
Baltimore car rental rates depend on a number of factors, such as the rental location, type of car, distance traveled and driver age. Typically, a short-term rental for an economy or compact car starts at $56 per day for a driver 25 years of age or older. The price increases for larger and luxury vehicles. For example, rates for a standard SUV start at $75 per day.
Rates for car rental places at Thurgood Marshall Airport typically increase across the board. For example, a short-term rental for a compact car here begins at $67 per day and includes additional fees. Rates also increase for younger drivers, as they are more of a liability and require the companies to implement additional insurance coverage.
Car Rental Fees, Taxes and Other Add-Ons
When it comes to car rental, Baltimore is not unique when it comes to age restrictions. Most companies have an age policy that requires all drivers to be at least 21 years of age to rent a vehicle. Drivers between the ages of 21 and 24 will incur a Young Driver fee between $25 and $40 per day. Also, these young drivers are restricted to the types of vehicles they can rent. For example, luxury vehicles, sports cars and convertibles are not available to young drivers.
Car rental at Baltimore airport imposes the most amount of fees. For example, Enterprise attaches a daily Customer Facility Charge, a Transaction Facility Charge and Concession Recovery Fee. On top of this, Maryland imposes an 11-and-a-half percent sales tax on short-term rentals, which increases the total price of a rental. Also, some rentals come with a Vehicle License Fee of $0.45.